Tuesday, August 15, 2006

World Trade Center is worth the mention


Oliver Stone is a weird one to follow.
His movies are always either love 'em or hate 'em.
And that's the people that like his movie not the ones who casually stroll into his flicks by accident.
Anyone want to mention Alexander at this point. I mean WTF was that mess?
Anyway I digress!
We are here to talk about his latest foray into the world of imagination. Unfortunately this time it's far from fantasy.
Nope this time he takes us down the "Born on the Fourth of July" way or the "JFK" route.
This time he gets it right and he gets it right!
World Trade Center needs to be seen if only to remind us Americans (who have a very short attention span) just how terrible September 11th really was .
When my Mom and I went to New York many moons ago we wanted to take the trip up the Empire State Building. I was very excited to do this because I just love that building. When we got there it was either closed for the day or just closed for something else. We were forced to take the trip up the World Trade Center instead. I am so glad that the Empire State Building was closed that day cause I would never have had the opportunity to visit such an amazing feat of architecture.
When I first heard about the movie I didn't know it was gonna be directed by Oliver and to be honest that info actually excited me. I know that of late he really hasn't been in top form but I knew that he knew how to shove something this terrible down our mouths in a way that we wouldn't vomit it back up.
I read an article that the real persons behind this movie were very pleased with the outcome and that's really great to hear because this movie needed to be seen and it needed the blessing of the original men to get it seen.
I was watching an episode of Rescue Me and Dennis Leary was at a bar drinking a very expensive glass of whiskey real fast. When the bartender asked why he was drinking such an expensive whiskey so fast instead of savoring the flavor he mentions to the bartender that its because he doesn't have any money to pay for the drink. Before the bartender can react he starts to rant and rave (as only Dennis can) about his miserable life and how he's a firefighter.
He goes on to say that he would bet anyone in the bar that they couldn't name ONE firefighter from the World Trade Center disaster but that they could name off all of the winners of American Idol!
That really made me think. Are we that shallow a nation that we couldn't even name some of the more powerful, more famous firefighters from this terrible disaster?
To my dismay I couldn't name not one.
That is why this movie is so very important. They name the 2 men who survive and the men that died with them. I'm sorry if that little tidbit was a spoiler but if you knew that story, as you should, then it wouldn't have been too much of a spoil.
The men that lost their lives that day were Antonio Rodrigues, Dominick Pezzulo, Christopher Amoroso and the men that survived were John McLoughlin and Will Jimeno.
This is just five of the thousands of men, women and children that passed away that fateful day.
Please don't forget them. Remember them and that day for ever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home