Sunday, September 17, 2006

Hollywoodland leaves me feeling less than SUPER

My main complaint with this movie is at no point does the director or the producer or the writer or even the freaking actors...anyone for God's sake...mention the damn title and what it's meaning is to this story plot.
I was thinking to myself that Hollywoodland was the original name for Hollywood until a fire destroyed the "Land" part and they just left it as Hollywood, but what does it have to do with George Reeves and the whole scandal of his death?
My mom remembers very clearly how George Reeves killed himself by jumping out of a window in his Superman costume but here in the movie he shoots himself.
I left this movie with so many questions that it'd take a master detective like say BATMAN to answer any of them.
I really can't say I liked this movie and I really want to say it. I heard so many great things about it that I really really wanted to like it.
But sadly it left to much to be desired and I can't really say much more than that.
Diane Lane and Adrien Brody were stellar in their role as Toni Mannix and Mr. Simo spelled
S.I.M.O. (that's a scene in the movie that I liked alot). If it were not for their performances than this movie would have sank. I must admit they had a wonderful feel to them.
Well let me not be so harsh on the rest of the cast. As Eddie Mannix, Bob Hoskins did a terrific job and the young actor Zach Mills who played Brody's kid was perfect as the 50's kid. Looked like they went back in time and plucked him right outta there. It was nice to see Robin Tunney doing something other than Celebrity Poker or that little show called Prison Break.
And of course I'll have to mention the Superman himself, Ben Affleck. His portrayal of George Reeves was masterful so much so that he took one of my idols away. Cause I never really saw George in that light but I have always heard he didn't like the role of Superman.
What a shame if this movie were totally real, but we all know that Hollywood adds their falsehoods to everything they touch.
Did I like this movie?
Well I would like to say yes but it really hurt too much to see George Reeves played like such a schmuck.
Oh well there's always Black Dahlia for another look at a Hollywood mystery, but at least they named it right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home