Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Memoirs of a Geisha needs a re-write

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/memoirsofageisha/index.html

I know I'm supposed to like this movie.
Rob Marshall did such a great job in Chicago.
I really loved that movie.
But this one was as my friend called it " Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Part 2".
The only problem is that Tiger was and is a fantastic movie that I actually purchased for my collection and this mess just has the old cast in it, but that's about as close it gets.
One of my main problems is just that.
How can you have a terrific cast like the one from Tiger and not put forth a tremendous effort.
I almost feel robbed, no pun intended Mr. Marshall.
I really can't put my finger on what's missing except to say it doesn't have that magic.
You'll hear me say that alot... cause for anyone who knows what I'm talking about, you know what I mean.
And this film has all the set up for a bus load of magic.
And it looks beautiful.
I especially liked the beginning and how dark it was with the dark grays and muted colors.
Then as the love story grows it gets brighter.
But ultimately it just doesn't have any legs to stand on.
Now does this mean its a blockbuster night... no I wouldn't say it was that bad.
But it definitely is a matinee price show.
Just barely.
So go with these low expectations and have a good time.
And make sure to visit the Tiger film director in his movie "Brokeback Mountain".
Who knows maybe next time he'll do a sequel with this cast and do it right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home